When a moving project is perfectly planned and executed, adjusting to your new home in a new place can feel quite exciting. On the other hand, a poorly organized move can feel chaotic and stressful—which can make it much harder to acclimate to the change in a productive or positive way.
It’s always better to start planning for a move weeks or even months in advance. However, sometimes a move is last-minute—which can make your experience all the more challenging. Whether your circumstances left you no choice but to pack up and go—or if you’ve simply waited too long to get started, there’s still hope for those moving at the last minute.
Regardless of the reason, a team of trusted movers—like our expert movers at Blackhawk Moving and Storage can help you make the most out of your rushed relocation. Here are some of our favorite tips for getting started.
Managing Your Last-Minute Move
The main focus with a last-minute move is to save time without risking loss or damage to your property. In addition, it’s important that your last-ditch effort doesn’t end up costing you extra in the long run. That’s why we have put together some tips to help your last minute move go by quickly and smoothly.
- Create a Plan-of-Action: It’s easy to feel stressed when moving day is getting closer—especially if you’re trying to hustle at the last minute. How many rooms need to be packed? Are you donating or getting rid of anything? Are you renting a truck or hiring movers? Once you answer these and other questions, you’ll find that you’re better prepared to move quickly.
- Designate a Command Center: Many people choose to pack up their home all at once—scattering their energies all over the house. However, this can actually extend your packing time, which is the last thing you need with a last-minute move. Packing up in multiple rooms at the same time will have you trying to remember where you sat the tape down, where the right size boxes are, and other concerns. For this reason, designate one room at a time and don’t stop until it’s clear—and then continue with the next one.
- Seek your Inner Storage: A lot of people like to empty their dressers, consoles, ottomans, and other pieces of furniture meant to store things. Don’t do this. Taking everything out not only adds to your packing requirements and time spent on your move, but it also takes up more space. Keep everything where it is, and even consider adding more items if you have space to save time and space for your move.
- Put Together a Moving Essentials Bag: With a last-minute move, you’re going to need to move quickly to stay on point. So before you get serious about your packing, consider making an essentials bag. This should include important documents, medications, change of clothes, and anything else you will need the entire time.
- Ask for Help: Short on time? Ask for help from family and friends, and get it done faster. Just make sure to provide food and drinks if monetary compensation isn’t in your budget. If you’re not close to anyone or feel uncomfortable asking others for help, then consider a Fox Valley and Chicago moving company that offers packing services.
- Be Ready: Where possible, try to have everything completed before the movers arrive. Stack those boxes near the front door. Disassemble furniture. Perform any task that will take movers extra time to deal with. Not only does this save time, but it also saves money since movers usually charge by the hour.
- Hire Professionals: It might be surprising, but hiring professional help can turn out to be more cost-effective than depending on friends and family. This is because of the risk you take when trusting your belongings to non-professionals, as it becomes more likely that your things become damaged or broken during the move. This can also be due to medical bills should an accident occur during the moving process. In contrast, many movers offer full-service moving or affordable add-on services to help facilitate your moving process. This can include packing, loading, and unloading, and even disassembling. This option can also take much less time and be less stressful than doing it all on your own.
Last-Minute Moves With Blackhawk Moving and Storage
At Blackhawk Moving and Storage, our team has provided moving solutions for customers for over 30 years. We owe our success to our superior relocation and storage solutions made available to both residential and commercial customers. As part of our approach, we provide everything from do-it-yourself moving services to full-service moving tailored to the needs of our customers—no matter if the move is planned months in advance or at the last minute.
Ready to move with Blackhawk Moving and Storage? If so, give us a call to speak with one of our agents about our professional moving services or fill out our online form to schedule your free, in-home pricing estimate and moving consultation.
Subscribe to Blackhawk Moving & Storage's Blog