Whether you’re moving thanks to a new job, a growing family, or to live in a new part of the world you’ve always dreamed about living in—it’s bound to be exciting. Even so, the process can also be stressful—especially without the right tools for planning a smooth and hassle-free experience.
Setting a budget for your move and learning about the different ways to save money on relocation is one of the best ways to avoid a high-stress moving experience. While any move is going to cost money, the good news is that there are plenty of ways you can save on your move—even when working with a Fox Valley and Chicago moving company.
The trick is to work with trusted movers like our team at Blackhawk Moving and Storage. Professional, reputable, and reliable movers are committed to making your next move as affordable and stress-free as possible. In this article, we’re sharing some of our favorite tips for planning a low-budget and affordable moving experience.
Keeping it Affordable
Truly saving money and making your move affordable takes a healthy mix of know-how and preparation. To help you get started, here’s a handy guide to refer to when getting started on planning your upcoming move.
- Off-Season Moving: If at all possible, try to move during this time period. This time is ideally between October and April. This is the time of year when demand for moving services drops. As a result, this usually translates to discounts for customers.
- Streamline Your Move: We get it. As you spend more time in a home, you’re going to collect things. The larger your home, the more things you’re likely to have. However, that doesn’t actually mean you need all of those things to come with you. You can make money by selling items you don’t want or need. At the same time, the less you have to move, the less you’ll pay for moving services.
- Track Down Supplies: High-quality moving materials such as boxes, tape, and packing paper can be expensive. Shop and look around for bulk packages of tape and watch for sales at office supply stores. In addition, you can get creative by seeing what boxes are getting thrown out and taking them off the store’s hands.
- Consider Shipping Options: Sometimes, it’s smarter and cheaper to ship your things than move them across a long-distance. If you naturally have less stuff, this could be a great option for you. However, make sure you pay close attention to shipping costs as well as freight. In short, shop around and weigh your options carefully to avoid paying more.
- Compare Moving Companies: When considering a moving company, consider more than just their base rate advertised. What might seem like a great deal could be too good to be true—and you could wind up paying a lot extra for hidden services and fees that you weren’t expecting. You can save money by comparing and contrasting bids. Just make sure that the moving company is a reputable one, and be sure to take advantage of the in-home visit for a free pricing estimate and consultation.
Get Moving with Blackhawk Moving and Storage
At Blackhawk Moving and Storage, our team has been a leading agent for United Van Lines for over 30 years. We owe our success to our focus on offering superior relocation and storage solutions to both residential and commercial customers. As part of our approach, our trusted movers provide everything from do-it-yourself moving services to full-service moving tailored to the needs of our customers.
Ready to move with Blackhawk Moving and Storage? Then give us a call to speak with one of our agents about our professional moving services or fill out our online form to schedule your free, in-home moving quote.
Subscribe to Blackhawk Moving & Storage's Blog