How smoothly your relocation goes might depending on how well you plan a move. While we recommend making plans in advance, approximately 2 months in advance is typical, the real important thing is to maintain some flexibility with your moving plans.
- Give yourself adequate time to screen movers and locate a reputable mover; there are several important factors to check before hiring a moving company. If you execute some simple steps, you may save a lot of troubles…
- Set up appointments for several movers to come to your house for an in-home estimate; this will give you a chance to personally meet with the a company representative.
- Ask if your moving provider has BBB accreditation. Look at the movers website for the BBB logo and search the company in the BBB database.
- Search for a US D.O.T. (US Department of Transportation) license and registration number. All registered and licensed companies under the U.S Department are obliged to respect the rules. Make sure that the US DOT number is under the same moving company name.
- Run some background check about your future company on internet . Read some moving reviews online to see what other customers are telling about this moving business you are about to hire. There are many places to do that online. Make sure you share your moving experience after the move.
- Avoid using moving brokers. Using a broker does not guarantee the quality of the moving service. Most moving brokers work with more than 50 different moving companies, and every moving company provides different moving service. Try using real moving companies with a reputation in the industry and request a moving estimate.
- Summer time is the busiest time of the year for movers. In addition, the beginning and end of each month are traditionally busier than mid-month, regardless of the season. If you are planning to move during one of the times, plan well in advance so your mover's schedule can accommodate your dates. You will want to plan accordingly, and make you arrangements well enough ahead of time to avoid the push.
- It may be best to plan move mid-month and/or earlier in week; Blackhawk Moving & Storage / United Van Lines offers special pricing incentives for non-peak load dates. We offer free in-home consultation in which our sales reps will go over all our moving options and help you decide the best fit for your needs.
- Take time to go over estimates carefully, compare, make sure the services you are looking for are included in the estimates; packing services, appliances disconnect/reconnect service, storage needs, etc… Do not hesitate to call the mover if you have any questions or concerns.
- Give yourself plenty of time to get organized; Time to contact banks, utility companies, schools, doctors, etc... (see our Plan Your Move Guide).
- Prevent moving mishaps due to last minute rush
Subscribe to Blackhawk Moving & Storage's Blog